Summary of IT Facilities available through JNU network
- 24x7 access to the Information Highway Of Internet using 1Gbps of Internet bandwidth
- JNU’s Official Web Site (www.jnu.ac.in)
- Mail accounts with JNU’s domain name (mail.jnu.ac.in for faculty, administrators & students.jnu.ac.in for students)
- Access to the online Journals subscribed by JNU (individually as well as a member of UGC Infonet)
- Access to the JNU Library servers
- Troubleshooting support in resolving network related problem at client side
- Video conferencing with other institutions anywhere in the World
Summary of Facilities available on the JNU’s Official Web site
Apart from the general information related to the different Schools/Centres/Departments, JNU website provides the following facilities for users:-
- JNU search engine: Faculty can be searched by full name, last name, designation, school, Centre, email id etc
- Tree Search: it is a Search Facilities of faculty & courses by school and centre (http://www.jnu.ac.in/TreeSearch.asp)
- Faculty webpage: JNU website provides Faculty to have their own page on the JNU server, where faculty can have their profile, course material, reading lists for students
- Tenders & Career: All the quotations/tenders and job posting are there.
- Intranet Channel: This section has different types of forms, circular, notifications etc. This page has Video gallery, which consist of lectures, seminars of JNU.
- Online Journals: They can be accessible through JNU website like Jstor, American Society for Microbiology, Indlaw.com, Science online etc. Under the UGC-INFONET consortia, JNU has complimentary access to Encyclopedia Britannica Online, Oxford University Press, Springer link, Institute of Physics and many more. The library page has list of journals which library has currently subscribed.
- Admission information: Website provides complete information on admission procedure, prospectus for entrance examination and other related information like links for admit card and results.
- JNU Alumni: Ex-students can register themselves through website.
- General information: JNU website has webpage of Schools, Centres, JNU news, ASC, JNIAS, organizations such as JNUTA, JNUFC, GSCASH etc, a list of MoU with foreign University. It also lists names of Deans and Chairpersons (http://www.jnu.ac.in/main.asp?sendval=DeansChairpersons) of Schools/Centres and also has the JNU telephone directory.
- Hindi version of JNU website: developed in Unicode Devanagari.
Video Conferencing Facilities
Video Conferencing facilities are provided by CIS in the Hall No. 2 of Lecture Hall Complex. The facility consists of a Sony PCS-1 video conferencing system which provides the latest in conferencing technology and Sony Bravia line of high-performance 46” LCD TV as monitor and 2 Mbps bandwidth connectivity dedicated for the purpose. This Video Conferencing equipment is installed in a studio-like environment with sound proofing and Air Conditioning facilities.
This videoconferencing facility of JNU can be utilised by all the Schools/Centres by sending a written application addressed to the Director (CIS) mentioning the purpose, date and time (IST), name of the institution and the IP address of their equipment. By using this facility a few Video conferencing sessions have already been arranged with some institutions such as CDAC (Pune) and SBRI, USA.