Sudip Mitra, Assistant Professor at the School of Environmental Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. He did his M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Environmental Sciences from the Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), New Delhi and carried out his PhD thesis research at International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Philippines with a specialization in greenhouse gases studies from agriculture ecosystems and rice paddy in particular. In 1997, he has been awarded with the prestigious Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Trust Scholarship. For more than a decade Dr. Mitra has been working in the field of climate change (Vulnerability & Adaptation), soil carbon dynamics and natural resources management. He has worked in various National and International Organisations viz. The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) and TERI University; National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM), Government of India, New Delhi; Division of Ecology and Natural Resources at the Centre for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn, Germany etc. Dr. Mitra also worked as a team member in one special international project coordinated by the Inter Academy Council-Amsterdam, the Netherlands. This project studied the Science and Technology Strategies for Improving Agricultural Productivity, Food Security and Environment in Africa and was carried out on request of then UN Secretary General Mr. Kofi Annan. Part of this study was carried out at the Wageningen Agricultural University and ISNAR in the Netherlands where he worked with Ecologists, Economists and NRM specialists. Before joining his present position at the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) he was the Project Director at M S Swaminathan Research Foundation (MSSRF), Chennai. Dr. Mitra is having many years of experiences in working with farmers and village communities and thus played a significant role in connecting science with the societies.
He has authored many peer reviewed papers and also contributed chapters in various books. He reviews research papers for various international journals viz. ‘Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment’, Elsevier; ‘Environmental Monitoring and Assessment’, Springer; ‘African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology’. He is one of the Assistant Editors of the journal on ‘Disaster and Development’. He also served as a task force member on convergence of programmes /schemes with National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA), Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India.
Ph.D. in Environmental Sciences, Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), New Delhi, India. Entire PhD thesis research was carried out at the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Banos, Philippines (2000).
- M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences, Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), New Delhi (1996).
- B.Sc. (Hons) in Agriculture (Soil Science elective), Visva-Bharati, Santiniketan, India (1994)
2. Research Areas:
Soil pollution, greenhouse gas studies, natural resources management, carbon sequestration, climate change-V & A & simulation modelling.
Member of the Task Force on convergence of programmes/schemes with National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA), Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India (2008).
Lead Fellow, India.
Invited Panel Speaker in the 95th Indian Science Congress, Vizag.
Awarded the prestigious Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Trust Scholarship for his PhD thesis research.
4. List of Selected publications:
4.1 Few selected papers published in journals:
Sandeep B, Sinha SK, Mitra S and Rangan L (20xx) Bioresources protection in North East India. Lyonia, A journal of Ecology and Application. Vol (xx), pp xx (in press)
Mitra S, Aulakh MS, Wassmann R. and Olk DC (2005) Triggering of methane production in rice soils by root exudates: Effects of soil properties and crop management. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 69: 563-570 [Citation – 2].
Jain MC, Kumar S, Wassmann R, Mitra S, Singh SD, Singh JP, Singh R, Yadav A K and Gupta S (2000) Methane Emissions from Irrigated Rice Fields in Northern India (New Delhi). Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 58: 75-83 [Citation – 19].
Mitra S, Jain MC, Kumar S, Bandyopadhyay SK and Kalra N (1999) Effect of rice cultivars on methane emission. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 73 (3): 177-183 [Citation – 21].
4.2 Chapters in book:
Mitra, S. and Rangan, L. (2009) Climate change: science and policies; In: A Christian Response to Ecological Crisis, eds. Thomas Manuel and Matthew Koshy, Christava Sahitya Samithi (CSS), Thiruvalla, pp 94-99.
Mitra, S., Bhadwal, S. Kelkar, U. and Latha, R. (2006) Climate Change and Vulnerability in Indian Agriculture: A Major Hurdle towards Food Security, in: Natural Hazards and Disaster Management-Vulnerability and Mitigation, Ed. R.B.Singh, Rawat Publications, Jaipur, pp.273-288.
Pathak H. Kumar S. Jain N. and Mitra S. (2003) Emission of methane from soil. In Pathak, H. and Kumar, S. (Eds.) Soil and Greenhouse Effect - Monitoring and Mitigation. CBS Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi. pp. 18-32.
4.3 Technical reports (selected ones only):
Stephen Barg, Preety Bhandari, John Drexhage, Ulka Kelkar, Sudip Mitra, Darren Swanson, Stephen Tyler, Henry David Venema (2006) Introduction chapter. In: Designing Policies in a World of Uncertainty, Change and Surprise: Adaptive Policy-making for Agriculture and Water Resources in the Face of Climate Change – Phase I Research Report.
Sudip Mitra and Jagjeet Singh Sareen (2006) Adaptive policy case studies: agricultural price policy in India. In: Designing Policies in a World of Uncertainty, Change and Surprise: Adaptive Policy-making for Agriculture and Water Resources in the Face of Climate Change – Phase I Research Report.
Stephen Tyler, Ulka Kelkar, Stephan Barg, Henry Venema, Darren Swanson, Preety Bhandari, John Drexhage, Sudip Mitra (2006) Synthesis and conclusions. In: Designing Policies in a World of Uncertainty, Change and Surprise: Adaptive Policy-making for Agriculture and Water Resources in the Face of Climate Change – Phase I Research Report.
5. Meetings/ Conferences/ Workshops (selected ones only):
9-11 Nov 2009: Invited lecture on “Global warming and the characteristics of land and water under changing climatic conditions in India: A critical perspective” in International Workshop on Sustainable Land Management in marginal Mountains Region, 9-11 Nov 2009, NEHU, Shillong, India, Co-organised by School of Environmental Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi and Institute of Sustainability and Peace, United Nations University (UNU) in collaboration with Department of Environmental Studies, North Eastern Hill University, Shillong.
- 10 July 2009: Delivered Eighth Bishop M.M. John Memorial Lecture at Bishop Moore College, on “Impact of Climate Change on Agriculture and Food Security” at Mavelikara, Kerala, 10 July 2009.
- 12 June 2009: Invited lecture on "Climate Change and Disasters" in Officers training workshop at Administrative Staff College, Guwahati, Assam, 12 June 2009.
- 3rd March, 2009: Invited lecture on “Dealing with Climate change to ensure Sustainability” International Training Programme under ITEC/SCAAP on 'Managing Cities in Developing Countries? Environment & Infrastructure Framework', HUDCO, New Delhi, 3rd March, 2009.
- 2nd March 2009: Invited lecture on “Climate change and India” in workshop on climate change as organised by Church's Auxiliary for Social Action (CASA) at the Baptist Missionary Society, Kolkata, 2nd March 2009.
- 12th to 14th Feb 2009: Invited lecture on “Impact of climate change on agriculture” in National Consultation on Global warming from 12th to 14th Feb 2009 at Chennai as organized by CSI in partnership with the National Council of Churches in India (NCCI).
- 12th to 14th Feb 2009: Invited lecture on “Climate change and disasters: science and policies” in National Consultation on Global warming from 12th to 14th Feb 2009 at Chennai as organized by CSI in partnership with the National Council of Churches in India (NCCI).
- 16-22/11/08: Attended the Lead International Training Session on “Mega cities and Climate Change” in Mexico City.
- 1-4/4/08: Attended International conference on ‘Food Security and Environmental Change-Linking Science, Development and Policy for Adaptation’ at Oxford University, U.K. April 1-4.
- 24-28/02/07: Panel Speaker in the International Conference on Community Based Adaptation to Climate Change, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- 5-10/12/05: Attended as Agriculture Sector Expert and presented paper in Asian Brown Cloud meeting, Bangkok, Thailand.
- 3-10/11/04: Invited speaker in World Rice Research Conference, Tsukuba, Japan.
- 10- 13/03/03: Increasing Food Productivity in Africa, Inter Academy Council. Alexandrian Library, Alexandria, Egypt.
- 06- 08/03/03: Inter Academy Council Chapter 4 Meeting. University of Wageningen, the Netherlands.
- 09-11/10/02: Deutscher Tropentag 2002: Challenges to Organic Farming and Sustainable Land Use in the Tropics and Subtropics, University of Kassel, Witzenhausen, Germany.
- 16-20/09/02: International Rice Congress, Beijing, China.
- 04-10/09/02: Soils under global change: a challenge for 21st century, Constanta, Romania.
- 21-23/01/02: Third International Symposium on Non-CO2 Greenhouse Gases (NCGG-3), Scientific understanding, control options and policy aspects, VVM, Maastricht, The Netherlands.
- 03-07/01/01: Indian Science Congress, New Delhi, India.
- 14-18/02/00: International Conference On Managing Natural Resources For Sustainable Agricultural Production In The 21st Century; New Delhi, India.