Prof Alka ACHARYA
Professor in Chinese Studies
Centre for East Asian Studies
Room # 108, School of International Studies
Jawaharlal Nehru University
New Delhi 110 067
Warden's Flat # 1, Godavari Hostel DP, New Campus, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 110067.
Tel: +91-11-26101034 (R)
Tel: +91-11-26704378, 26704346 (O)
Fax: 91-11-26717586, 26717580
|Alka Acharya is Professor of Chinese Studies in the Centre for East Asian Studies, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University. She has been teaching courses on Chinese Foreign Policy and Political Economy to the Masters and M.Phil students and guiding doctoral research since 1993. She is also an Honorary Fellow of the Institute of Chinese Studies (New Delhi) and the Editor of China Report, a journal of East Asian Affairs. She is the joint editor of the book Crossing A Bridge of Dreams: 50 years of India-China, published in 2002, has contributed chapters to many books and regularly features in the Economic and Political Weekly, published from Mumbai, India. She has written widely on India-China Relations and other aspects of China’s foreign policy. Her current research focuses on the settlement of the PRC’s territorial disputes, India-China-Russia Trilateral Cooperation and the Chinese strategic response to the post-cold war globalising politico-security architecture, with special reference to China’s neighborhood. She is a member of the India-China Eminent Persons Group and also a member of the National Security Advisory Board of the Government of India.
Chairperson (from February 2006 to
January 2008), Centre for East Asian Studies, SIS, JNU
Fellow, Institute of Chinese Studies, New Delhi
Editor, China Report (New Delhi)
Member, India-China Eminent Persons Group, Government of India
Member, National Security Advisory Group, Government of India
2002 - Associate Professor, Centre for East Asian Studies Chinese
Studies) School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru
University, New Delhi
1993 - 2002 Senior Lecturer/Assistant Professor, Centre For East Asian
Studies (Chinese Studies) School of International Studies
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
2005- Editor, CHINA REPORT (New Delhi)
1998 - 2005 Associate Editor, CHINA REPORT
1996 – 1998 Assistant Editor, CHINA REPORT
1996 - Honorary Fellow, Institute of Chinese Studies (New Delhi)
1997 - 1999 Member, Editorial Board, INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
* Guest edited the July - September 1997 issue of the Journal
on Hong Kong’s return to China
1989 - 1992 Research Analyst, Institute for Defence Studies and Analysis,
Ph. D School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University
M.Phil. Chinese Studies, School of International Studies, JNU,
M.A. International Relations, School of International Studies,
B.A. Political Science, English Literature and Psychology,
MLB College, Bhopal University, (1978)
Stood first in the University
English and Hindi and basic spoken Chinese
- G.P. Deshpande and Alka Acharya eds., Crossing a Bridge of Dreams: 50 years of India-China Tulika, New Delhi, 2001
CHAPTERS IN BOOK
- “The Strength of Weakness: The Context and Construction of Chinese Foreign Policy” in Amb. M. Rasgotra ed. The New Asian Power Dynamic
(Sage Publications 2006)
- “Australia and China in a Changing World” in D. Gopal ed., Australia in the Emerging World Order: Evolving Australia-India Relations (Shipra Publications, Delhi 2001) pp. 138-49.
- Introductory theoretical essay on Comparative Politics in G.P. Deshpande and Alka Acharya eds., Crossing a Bridge of Dreams: 50 years ofIndia-China, Tulika, New Delhi, 2001, pp. 203-267.(with G.P. Deshpande)
- “The State and Human Development : Health and Education” in G.P. Deshpande and Alka Acharya eds., Crossing a Bridge of Dreams: 50 years of India-China, Tulika, New Delhi, 2001, pp. 203-267. (with Rama Baru and Geetha B. Nambissan)
- “PRC-India Relations: An Overview”, in Kanti Bajpai and Amitabh Mattoo eds., The Peacock and the Dragon : India and China in the 21st Century Har-Anand Publications Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi, 2000, pp. 168-198.
- “From ‘World-View’ to ‘Nation-View’ : Fifty Years of Sino-IndianInteraction” in Usha Thakkar and Mangesh Kulkarni eds., India in World Affairs : Towards the 21st Century, Himalaya Publishing HouseMumbai, 1999. (with G.P. Deshpande) pp. 79-04.
- “A Partnership of Global Significance,” Economic and Political Weekly, December 2, 2006, pp. 4934 - 4936
- “Changing Dynamics in the Taiwan Strait: One Country, Many Systems,” International Studies (New Delhi) 42:3&4, 2005, pp. 227-246
- “Regional Imbalances in China,” Seminar (New Delhi) No. 562, June 2006, pp. 26-30 (Special Issue on India’s Changing Relations with China)
- “India-China Relations: Beyond the Bilateral,” Economic and Political Weekly, May - 2005 pp. 1421-24
- “Rectifying Relationships: Wen Jiabao’s South Asian Tour,” Economic and Political Weekly, April 2- 8- 2005 pp. 1421-24
- “India-China Relations – The Territorial Imperative: Past and Present", Economic and Political Weekly, November 8-14, 2003.(with G.P. Deshpande)
- “Talking of and with China”, Economic and Political Weekly, July 2003
(with G.P. Deshpande)
- “Political Cooperation between India, China and Russia: Problems and
Prospects”, China Report, Vol. 38, No1, Jan-Mar 2002, pp. 49-55
- “Ritual and reality: Li Peng’s India Visit” in Economic and Political Weekly, February 2001
- “A Measured Tread to the Future” in Seminar, No. 487, March 2000
- “A Season of Opportunities: China’s Impending Entry to the WTO”China Report, Vol.36:2, 2000. (with G.P. Deshpande).
- “Irresistible Attraction and Implacable Reality: The President’s China Visit” in Economic and Political Weekly, June 17-23, 2000
- “Two Eras and After: People’s Republic of China at 50” in Economic and Political Weekly, October 9-15, 1999
- “Sino-Indian Relations since Pokhran II” in Economic and Political Weekly, June 5-11, 199
- “China : Leading the Region and leading the World - China’s White Paper on National Defence - An Analysis ”
Economic and Political Weekly Nov. 7 - 13, 1998
- “China : Consensus for Reform and Reforming the Consensus ” Economic and Political Weekly Oct. 11, 1997
- “Prelude to the Sino Indian War : Aspects of the Decision Making Processes during 1959 - 62 ”
China Report Vol 33, No. 1, Jan - March 1997
- “Jiang Zemin’s India Visit ”Economic and Political Weekly Dec. 28 1996
- “Japan’s Defence Capability in Transition”Asian Strategic Review, August 1992
- “China’s Arms Sales : The Fulcrum of its South Asia Policy” Strategic Analysis, May 1992
- “Human Rights, the Changing World and the Chinese Dilemma” Strategic Analysis, November 1991
- “The Sino-Soviet Summit : Some Salient Aspects” Strategic Analysis, August 1991
- “China and the Changing World Order : Shifting Priorities in Defence and Diplomacy” Strategic Analysis, May 1991
- “Regional Conflict and Security in the 1990s : The Case of SouthAsia” Strategic Analysis, February 1991
- “Crisis in the Gulf : Fallout for China” Strategic Analysis, October 1990
- “The Rise and Fall of the Strategic Triangle : China’s Relations with the Superpowers” Strategic Analysis, June 1990
* A book on China’s Territorial Claims and Settlements
* A monograph on Cross-Strait Relations
- Delivered a talk on “Rising China: Implications and Challenges for India” in the Combined Operational Review and Evaluation Programme 2007 organised by the Naval Base, Vishkhapatnam (AP) on 10 January 2007
- Was Convenor and participant in the Sixth China-India-Russia Academic Trilateral Conference, organized by the Institute of Chinese Studies, New Delhi, November 2-4, 2006
- Presented a paper titled “Whose Century? The Rise of China” in a seminar on China in Africa in the 21st Century: Preparing for the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation organized by the NEPAD Secretariat, the Royal African Society and the South African Institute of International Affairs, Johannesburg, South Africa, from 16-17 October, 2006.
- Made a presentation in the Fourth General meeting of the World Public Forum, ‘Dialogue of Civilizations’ organized by the World Public Forum, (Moscow, Russia) in Rhodes, Greece, from 27th September to 1st October 2006
- Delivered an address on “The Problems and Prospects of China’s Developmental Strategy,” at the National Defence College, New Delhi on 8 September 2006
- Presented a paper titled ‘Internal Imbalances in China’ in a seminar organized by the Army War College, Mhow, on India-China Strategic Equations: Prospects and Challenges from 11-12 August 2006
- Presented a paper on “Regional Imbalances in China” in a seminar on Emerging Trends in Sino-Indian Relations organized by the Centre for Policy Alternatives, New Delhi, from 13 to 14 April, 2006.
- Was discussant to a paper titled, “How to Understand a Rising China” presented in an Indo-Japanese dialogue on “Situating Contemporary India and China: Japanese Perspectives” at the Centre for Historical Studies, SSS JNU, New Delhi, 6th March 2006.
- Presented a paper, “India and China: Avoiding Conflict” in a national seminar on India and the Major Powers organized by the School of International Studies, JNU, in association with the Ministry of External Affairs, in New Delhi from 23 to 24 February, 2005
- Participated in a conference on “India-China Relations”, organized by the Bandaranaike Centre for International Studies in association with the School of Advanced International Studies, Johns Hopkins University, Washington D.C. in Colombo from 16th to 17 December 2005.
- Presented a paper on “India and China-South Asia Relations” at a conference on China-South Asia Relations organized by the Bandaranaike Centre for International Studies, Colombo, in association with the China Institute of International Studies, Beijing, in Colombo, from 21 to 22 December 2005.
- Interacted and had a series of meetings with Japanese sinologists in several research institutes and universities in Tokyo, Kyoto and Kobe on the invitation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan from 29th November 2005 to 2nd December 2005.
- Presented a paper on “Bilateral Relations in the context of Trilateral Cooperation in the Emerging world Order” at the Fifth China, India and Russia Trilateral Academic Conference, organised by the China Institute of International Studies, Beijing, 15-17 June 2005.
- Participated as a resource person in a workshop on The Social Sector in China at the Institute of Chinese Studies, New Delhi, 29 March – 5 April 2005.
- Participated as a resource person in a workshop on Administrative Reforms in China” at the Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi, 14 March, 2005.
- Participated as a discussant at the Conference of Indian Congress for Asia Pacific Studies (ICAPS) organised jointly with the Institute of Chinese Studies (ICS) at the India International Centre, New Delhi, 22 December 2004.
- Presented a paper on “Reshaping the Human Rights Discourse in a Globalised World” at the Fourth China, India and Russia Trilateral Academic Conference, organised by the Institute of Far Eastern Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences, in Moscow, 5-6 September 2004.
- Presented a paper, “Transcending the Territorial Imperative : A Political Approach to Resolving the India-China Border Dispute” in a conference on “India-China Relations: Peace and Tranquillity Across Frontiers” organized jointly by the Centre for Strategic and Regional Studies, University of Jammu and the Pugwash Society, 10-12 August, 2004 at Leh (Ladakh).
- Participated as a discussant at a Roundtable on “Peaceful Rise of China: An Assessment”, organised by the Indian Pugwash Society, New Delhi, on 25 August 2004 at the India International Centre, New Delhi.
- Presented a paper on the “Prospects of Educational, Cultural and Tourism Relations Between India and Taiwan” at the seminar on The Prospects of Relations between India and Taiwan in New Delhi, 15th December 2002, in collaboration with Tamkang University, Taiwan.
- Participated in the Wilton Park Conference on “Japan and East Asia” in Wilton House, Steyning, West Sussex, UK, 18-21 February 2002.
- Presented a paper on “Political Cooperation between India, China and Russia : Problems and Prospects”, at the First China, India, Russia Trilateral Academic Conference, titled “Russia-China-India and Challenges Of Globalisation: Prospects for Three-Lateral Cooperation” organised by the Institute of Far Eastern Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences, in Moscow, 5-6 September 2001.
- Presented a paper on “East Asian Studies in India” at the Inaugural China-India Research Institute Directors Roundtable, organised by the Centre for Asian Studies, The University of Hong Kong, in Hong Kong, 28-30 June, 2001.
- Presented a paper on “Trends and Possibilities of India-China Economic Trade and Cooperation” at a seminar on “Sino-Indian Relations in the 21st Century” organised by the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences in Shanghai, in Shanghai, 13 October 2000.
- Presented a paper (joint authorship) on “The State and Human Development: Health And Education” in a seminar on “Fifty Years of India and China : A Comparative Perspective”, organised by the Institute of Chinese Studies, in New Delhi, October 7-9, 1999.
- Presented a paper, “Chinese Perspectives on Mongolia” at a seminar organised by the International Conference of Mongolists, School of International Studies, JNU, February 20-22, 1995.
- Presented a paper, “Regional Conflict and Security in the 1990s : The Case of South Asia” at the New Faces Conference, Bellagio, Italy, organised by the International Institute of Strategic Studies, (London) July 1990.
- Doctoral degrees awarded to scholars under my supervision – Three.
Thesis Submitted (result awaited) : One
- Students currently working on their theses - Six
- Two scholars registered in the Ph.D programme have been awarded the Nehru Memorial
Fund Fellowship for a field trip to the PRC – 2002 and 2003
- One Ph.D scholar selected for the China Government Scholarship, 2003-07
- Another scholar awarded a short term Fellowship at the Centre For Asian Studies,
University Hong Kong, 2004
- Two scholars registered in the Ph.D programme have been selected for the Taiwan National
- M.Phil Dissertations completed : Fifteen
Faculty Advisor and Supervisor of the MA programme in SIS since January 2002
- On the Panel of the Government of India, Ministry of External Affairs for their Lecture Series on International Relations for the Trainee Officers as well as the Professional Courses for Foreign Diplomats.
- Regular contributor to the All India Radio discussion programmes on China and
- Co-convenor of a national seminar on “Fifty Years of India and China : A Comparative Perspective” held from October 7-9, 1999, at the India International Centre, organised by the Institute of Chinese Studies.
- Co-convenor of the Third and Sixth Trilateral Conference between India, China and Russia held from 5-7 November 2003, along with Amb. Vinod Khanna, organized by the Institute of Chinese Studies, New Delhi.
- Project Collaboration : “The State, Market and the Social Sector : Equity Issues in Health and Education in China and India” with Dr. Rama Baru (CSMCH, School Of Social Sciences, JNU) and Dr. Geetha Nambissan (ZHCES, School of Social Sciences, JNU) under the auspices of the Institute of Chinese Studies, New Delhi.