Ph.D. (JNU), 1999 (History) Dalit Movement in Andhra: 1900-1950
M.Phil. (JNU), 1992 (History) Literature and Ideology: A Study of Telugu Literature, (1920-1942)
M.A. (JNU), 1990 (History) with specialization in Modern Indian History
B.A., (Andhra University) 1988 with History (Main) and Economics and Political Science (Ancillaries)
Academic / Administrative Positions held
- Associate Professor at Programme for Studies in Discrimination and Exclusion, SSS, JNU, since January 2007.
- Member Secretary, Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR), New Delhi (January – April 2008).
- Visiting Fellow, at Nehru Studies Centre, Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai, (February-March 2007).
- Lecturer at Dr. K.R. Narayanan Centre for Dalit and Minorities Studies, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, (December 2005 - November 2006).
- Research Officer at Educational Records Research Unit (ERRU), School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. (April 1997 to December 2005).
- Visiting Fellow (Charles Wallace India Trust) in Contemporary
History and Politics at the Centre for South Asian Studies and the
Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities, the University of
Edinburgh, Scotland (2001/2001).
(A) Books (Authored and / or Edited):
- The Pasts of the Outcastes, (Co-edited with Sabyasachi Bhattacharya), Orientblackswan, (forthcoming).
- Exclusion and Discrimination: Concepts, Perspectives and Challenges, (Co-edited with Sudhakara Karakoti), (New Delhi: Kanishka Publishers, 2010).
- Dividing Dalits: Writings on Sub-Categorization of Scheduled Castes, (Edited), (Jaipur/New Delhi: Rawat Publications, 2009).
- Perspectives on Economic Development and Social Change: Essays in Honour of Professor KS Chalam, (Edited), (New Delhi and Jaipur: Rawat Publications, 2008).
- Writing Dalit History and Other Essays, (New Delhi: Kanishka Publishers, 2007).
- Andhra Pradesh Dalita Udyama Charitra, (History of Dalit Movement in Andhra Pradesh), (Telugu), (Hyderabad: Hyderabad Book Trust, 2007).
- Dalits’ Struggle for Identity: Andhra and Hyderabad, 1900–1950, (New Delhi: Kanishka Publishers, 2003).
- Dalit Studies: A Bibliographical Handbook, (New Delhi: Kanishka Publishers, 2003).
- Educating the Nation: Documents on the Discourse of National Education in India, 1880–1920, Co-edited with S. Bhattacharya et al., (New Delhi: Kanishka Publishers, 2003).
- Development of Women’s Education in India, 1850-1921: Selections from Documents, Co-edited with S. Bhattacharya et al., (New Delhi: Kanishka Publishers, 2001).
(B) Select Research Papers in Journals/Edited Books:
- “Social Exclusion and the Dalits in India”, in V. Subramanyam and K. Sekhar (eds.) Social Exclusion , Integration and Inclusive Policies, (New Delhi/Jaipur: Rawat Publications, 2010)
- “Atrocities on Dalits and Media Responses”, in Y.S. Sikand and Avinash K. Mishra (eds.), Indian Mass Media: Prejudices against Dalits and Muslims, (Delhi: Hope India, 2010), [ISBN 817871173-7], pp. 222-237.
- “Educational Development as a new Horizon for Reservations: Neo-social movement of Andhra” in Dividing Dalits: Anthology on Sub-Categorization of Scheduled Castes in India, (Edited Volume), (New Delhi/Jaipur: Rawat Publications, 2009), [ISBN 81-316-0254-0], pp. 63-86.
- “Dalit Education and Consciousness in Andhra” in Perspectives on Economic Development and Social Change, (Edited volume), (New Delhi, / Jaipur: Rawat Publications, 2009], [ISBN 81-316-0246-X], pp. 133-158.
- “Labour Education in Madras Presidency: Late 19th and Early 20th Century Andhra”, South India Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. VI, No.2, (December 2008).
- “Communities on the Margins: Dalit Consciousness in Colonial South India” in Rajsekhar Basu and Sanjukta Das Gupta (eds.), Narratives of the Excluded: Caste Issues in Colonial India, (Kolkata: K.P. Bagchi and Company, 2008).
- “Dalits and Human Rights Situation in India”, in Abdulrahim P. Vijapur (ed.), Human Rights in the Third World: Essays on Human Rights Dalits and Minorities, (Delhi: Manak, 2008).
- Dalits and Elementary Education in India: Problems and Prospectus” in L. Karunyakara, L.C. Mallaiah and Ratna Kumari (eds.), Dalits and Human Development: Contemporary Issues and Emerging Patterns, New Delhi: Abhijeet Publications, (2008).
- With L.L. Khan Piang, “Education of the Marginalised: A Report”, in Contemporary Perspectives, Vol. 1, No.1, (January – June), 2007. (A Biannual Journal published by the Centre for Jawaharlal Nehru Studies, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi).
- “Sub-subaltern Histories and Missionary Sources” in Kakatiya Journal of Historical Studies, Vol. 1, No. 1, (May 2006).
- “Reservation in Education: An Instrument for Social Movement in Andhra Pradesh”, The Fourth World: Journal of the Marginalised People, Vol. 11, Nos. 21-22, (2005).
- “Neo-reservation Movement in Contemporary India: A Case Study of Andhra Dalits”, Contemporary India, Vol. 4, No.3, (July-September 2005). (Quarterly Journal published by Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, New Delhi).
- “Reservations within Reservations: Educational Development and Recent Social Movements in Andhra”, in A. Satyanarayana and P. Chenna Reddy (eds.) Recent Trends in Historical Studies, (New Delhi: Research India Press, 2005).
- “Rise and Growth of Dalit Movement in Andhra, 1906-1946”, Indian Social Science Review, Vol. 5, No. 1, (2003).
- “Education and Identity Formation among Dalits in Colonial Andhra”, in S. Bhattacharya (ed.), Education and the Disprivileged: Nineteenth and Twentieth Century India, (New Delhi: Orient Longman, 2002).
- “Great Cultures in ‘Little Traditions’”, Social Action, Vol. 50, No. 1, (January-March), 2000.
- “Change in Nomenclature: A Historical Note” in Ambrose Pinto (ed.), Dalits: Assertion for Identity, (New Delhi: Indian Social Institute, 1999).
- “The World of ‘Untouchables’ in Medieval Telugu Literature: A Study of Vemana” in R. Soma Reddy, M. Radhakrishna Sharma and A. Satyanarayana (eds.), Social Evils in Andhra Desa 17th and 18th Centuries A.D., (Hyderabad: Department of History, Osmania University, 1999).
- “Cotton-Textile Industry in Pre-Modern Andhra: With Special Reference to Kalamakari”, in R. Soma Reddy, M. Radha Krishna Sharma and A. Satyanarayana, (eds.), on Industries and Crafts in Andhra Desa in 17th and 18th Centuries A.D.: Proceedings of the Seminar,(Hyderabad: Department of History, Osmania University, 1995).
- “Progressivism in Modern Telugu Literature: A Study of Sri Sri”, in K.M. Shrimali, D.N. Jha and S.Z.H. Jafri (eds.), Historical Diversities, volume two, (Warangal: Indian History Congress, 1992).
- “Some Aspects of Historiography of National Movement in Andhra: 1920-42” Osmania Journal of Historical Research, Vol. VI, No.5, Jan.1990-Dec. 1992.
Membership in Professional Bodies/Organizations
- Member, Board of Studies, Department of History, Kanrataka Central University, Gulbarga.
- Member, Board of Studies, Department of History, Gujarat Central University, Gandhinagar.
- Expert Member, Departmental Research Committee, Department of History, B.R. Ambedkar (Central) University, Lucknow.
- Member, ‘Editorial Board’, South India: Journal of Social Sciences, (Bi-Annual), (Official Journal of the A.P. Academy of Social Sciences).
- Member, ‘Editorial Board’, Samanthara (Telugu Monthly), Hyderabad.
- Member, Indian History Congress.
- Member, South Indian History Congress.
- Member, Andhra Pradesh History Congress.
Important (Lectures/Seminars) Presentations (since 2008)
- Inaugural Address, at a National Seminar on Rajasthan Mein 1857: Ek Jan Andolan, held at Department of History, University of Rajasthan, (14-15 January 2008).
- Key Note Address, at a National Workshop on Concepts, Context and Theories of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy, held at the Centre for Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy, Mangalore University, (6-7 February 2008).
- Key Note Address, at UGC sponsored Workshop on Ethics and Human Values held at Kanya Maha Vidyalaya, Jalandhar (15-20 February 2008).
- Valedictory Address, at National Seminar on Social Exclusion in Indian Society: The Response of State and Civil Society, held at Dr. Ambedkar Centre for Social Justice, University of Mumbai, (14-15 March 2008).
- “Keynote Address”, at National Seminar on 1857 in Indian History, Historiography and Memory held at Department of History, Pondicherry University, (21-22 March 2008).
- Keynote Address, at National Workshop on Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy with Special Reference to Weaker Sections of India held at Centre for Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy, Andhra University, (28-29 March 2008).
- Chief Guest Address, at ICHR sponsored Seminar on India in 1857 held at Arya Kanya Mahavidyalya, Shahabad Markanda, District – Kurukshetra, (29 March 2008).
- Keynote Address, on “Wither Social Justice?: Splinter groups and sprinkled Masses”, at a National Seminar on Perspectives of Social Justice with Focus on Scheduled Castes, held at the Centre for the Study of Social Exclusion & Inclusive Policy and Centre for Banking Studies, Department of Commerce and Management, Andhra University, (20 December 2008).
- Special Lecture “Dalits and Higher Education: No Reservation Bill of 2008”, at School of Ambedkar Studies, Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, (3 March 2009).
- “Rise and Growth of Dalit Protest Literature: Early Twentieth Century Andhra”, Paper presented in Plenary Session at Interdisciplinary Global Seminar on Understanding and Interrogating Fourth World Literatures held at Acharya Nagarjuna University (7-9, September 2009).
- Special Lecture on “Minority and Indian Nation-State: Dalit Experience” delivered at Centre for the Study of Social Systems, School of Social Science, JNU (4th November 2009).
- Ambedkar Memorial Lecture delivered at Banaras Hindu University, (6th December 2009).
- The Kasthuri Misro Memorial Lecture delivered at South Indian History Congress, Kannur, (6-8 February 2010).
- “Presidential Address”, Modern Section, ANDHRA PRADESHHISTORY CONGRESS, Thirty-Fourth Session, Guntur, (23-24 March 2010).
- “Key Note Address”, at a National Seminar on Recent Trends in Subaltern Studies, Department of History, Holy Cross College, Thiruchirapalli, (25th February 2010).
- Jawaharlal Nehru Lecture on “Dalit Movements at Cross Roads”, at Centre for Nehru Studies, Bharatidasan University, Thiruchirapalli, (26th February 2010).
- Special Lecture on “Identity Movements and Reservations” delivered at 32nd Refresher Course in Sociology, Academic Staff College, JNU (10th March 2010).
- “Special Lecture” at Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University 119th Birth Anniversary of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, (14th April 2010).
- “Writings on Dalits in Colonial India: Some Historiographical Trends and Questions” paper presented at a panel discussion on The History and Historiography of Dalits held at the Indian History Congress (70th Session, 15-17 March 2010), at University of Delhi.
- Resource Person Lecture on “Social Exclusion and Discrimination: Tracing the Marginalised” at UGC Academic Staff College, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad (20 June 2010).
- Resource Person Lecture on “Aspects of Social Exclusion and Discrimination: Is this a Democracy?” at UGC Academic Staff College, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad (10 July 2010).
- “Keynote Address”, at the National Dalit Intellectual Summit organized by the Forum for Dalit Studies, Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh (24th October 2010).