Dr. Ramesh C. Gaur
LIBRARIAN SPEAK- Published in Inaugural issue of Taylor and Francis Newsletter for Librarians' in South Asia –IGNITE"
JNU News Interview
JNU Parisar Interview
Dr. Ramesh C.Gaur is presently the University Librarian (Professor Grade), Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi (www.jnu.ac.in). Prior to this he was Librarian & Head, Kala Nidhi Division at Indira Gandhi National Centre for the arts (IGNCA), New Delhi and was the Project Coordinator of an International Bibliographic Project known as ABIA, South and Southeast Asian Art and Archeology Index. Dr. Gaur has also headed Kala Kosha Division of IGNCA during October 2009 to December 2010, and National Mission for Manuscripts (NMM), IGNCA as its Director from April 2009 to September 2009. He is the Project Coordinator for a collaborative project with C-DAC, Pune and Department of Information Technology, Government of India on "Development of Digital Repository of Indian Cultural Heritage" under the project "Centre for Excellence on Digital Preservation".
A Fulbright Scholar, Dr. Gaur is a Science graduate with Ph.D in Library and Information Science, with exposure to several-advanced training programme on the applications of IT to Library Management.
After rich exposure in corporate environment, he joined IMT Ghaziabad where his first major achievement of automating the Library and transforming it into a state-of-the-art establishment, hailed by all concerned. This feat he replicated at the famed Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai and also at Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurgaon. Digitization and Digital Archiving of Indian Cultural Heritage is the main focus of his work at Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts.
Dr. Gaur has visited USA, Russia, Germany, Japan, Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Netherlands in relation to various assignments related to Digital Library and allied areas in his field.
Honours & Awards:
1. IASLIC- S M Ganguly Best Librarian award for year 2007
2. Satkal Young Librarian award for year 2009.
3. Facilitation by UP Library Association in year 2007. The felicitation honour through Education Minister, State Government, Uttar Pradesh
4. Felicitation by Chairperson- IFLA Newspaper Section on the occasion of IFLA International Newspaper Conference 2010 organized at IGNCA, New Delhi in February 2010.
Affiliation with International Committees / Bodies / Groups :
- Included in the NDLTD Board of directors for a period of three years (2013-2016). The NDLTD (www.ndltd.org) Board consists of 22 members from countries all over the world; only one from India and only three from Asia. He is the only second Indian Library professional to have this honour.
- Member of Standing Committee of International Federations of Library Associations (IFLA) -Art Libraries Section 2011-2015
- Member - Special Library Association (SLA), USA
- Member Databib Advisory Board http://databib.org/about.php - A project under partnership between Purdue and Penn State Universities, USA.
- Member EBSCO Asia, Australia, Africa Academic Advisory Board
- Reviewed the application from University of Cape Town, South Africa on ICT4D for Heritage project submitted at National Research Foundation, South Africa, 2010.
- Member Oxford's Global Academic User Group Exchange (GAUGE).
- Member Librarians Advisory Committee of Royal Society of Chemistry(RSC)
- Member Librarians Advisory Committee Springer.
- Contributor to the UNESCO Global Open Access Portal (GOAP).
- Host to ETD 2015 at JNU, New Delhi India http://www.ndltd.org/events/news
- Advisor to the UNESCO project entitled "Development of Curriculum and Self-Directed Learning Tools for Open Access" at the Commonwealth Educational Media Centre for Asia (CEMCA).
Affiliation with National Committees / Bodies / Groups:
- Member of Delhi Library Board-the Governing body of Delhi Public Library, (An organization of Ministry of Culture, Government of India).
- Member of National Committee for Implementation of Submission and Access to Electronic Theses and Dissertations in Universities in India, INFLIBNET, Ahmedabad (UGC).
- Member of the "National Advisory Board" for the Jawaharlal Nehru Library of Dr. Harsingh Gour University, Sagar, M.P.
- Member of Project Review and Steering Group (PSRG) for "Tools for Digital Preservation Management of Heritage Archives – project proposal from C-DAC Pune for R&D funding".
- Member of Project Review and Steering Group (PSRG) for "Centre of Excellence for Digital Preservation – project proposal from C-DAC Pune, C-DAC, NOIDA funded by DIT, Government of India under R&D funding".
- Member of Expert Group on Study Report on Digital Preservation in India formed by National Digital Preservation Programme: An initiative of Department of Information & Technology, Government of India.
- Member Expert Committee on Digital Preservation Standards, C-DAC, Pune.
- Member of Task Force on recommendations made by the 5th Central Pay Commission for library staff and libraries, constituted by Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
- Member of Publication Sub-Committee of Rampur Raza Library, Rampur (Ministry of Culture, Government of India).
- Member of NASSDOC Modernization Committee constituted in accordance with the recommendation of the Committee on Documentation Services and research information (CDS&RI) of the ICSSR 2010-11).
- Member of ICSSSR-NASSDOC Committee on Documentation Services.
- Member of Committee on Library Standards of Bureau of Indian Standards, ISI, New Delhi.
- Convenor Course Designing Committee for Central Board of Secondary Education(CBSE), New Delhi for Library & Information Science for Class Xi & XIIth.
- Member, Library Advisory Committee, Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Raipur.
- Member, External Advisory Committee (EAC) of NIFTEM Knowledge Centre, National Institute of Food Technology Entrepreneurship and Management (NIFTEM) (Deemed to be University under De-novo Category) Ministry of Food Processing Industries, Govt. of India), Sonepat, Haryana.
- Trustee and Director-National & International Collaboration of SATKAL
- Life Trustee of Ranganathan Research Trust and Founder Convenor of Ranganathan Research Circle (RRC), New Delhi.
- Founder Member- Management Libraries Network (MANLIBNET)
- Founder Member & Chief Patron- Association of Media Libraries Archives(AMLA)
- Representing JNU in the Governing Body of DELNET.
- Convenor Course Designing Committee for Library and Information Science course for Class XIth and XIIth for Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), New Delhi
- Member Expert Panel, Ministry of HRD, Government of India
- Member the Expert Committee (EC) to give suggestions for operationalizing the recommendations given, on various components, by the High Level Committee for planning and the development of Dr. Ambedkar National Memorial ('Memorial') and Dr. Ambedkar National Centre for Social Justice ('Centre'), Government of India, Department of Social Justice and Empowerment,, Dr. Ambedkar Foundation
- Member Curriculum committee for Vocational Education, CENTRAL BOARD OF SECONDARY EDUCATION (CBSE) (An Autonomous organization under the MHRD, Govt. of India).
- Member Library Committee, Indian Council of World Affairs (ICWA), New Delhi.
- Member Expert Review Committee of Paddy Growing Cultures in India of Janapada Sampada Division, Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, New Delhi
- Member The Advisory Committee of the Archives on Contemporary History, SSS, JNU
- Primary Member, Daisy Forum of India
- Member- Library Committee, University of Kashmir, J &K.
He has also acted as Expert Member/Examiner/Member of Committee to the various professional bodies and Institutions UGC National Committee on e-theses, National Knowledge Commission Committee on Private Collections, IMT Ghaziabad, IGNOU, DAV Schools, Max Muller Bhawan, South Asian University, National Archives, Jamia Millia Islamia, SNDT University, Lady Erwin College, MDI Gurgaon, BIMTECH, Apeejay, Greater Noida, Indus World School of Business, Indian Law Institute, DESIDOC, DR.BSRA University, Lucknow, Census of India, GNDU University, Amritsar, University of Pondicherry, IIIT, DRDO, NIT Uttrakhand, IARI, NIEUPA, etc.
In 20 years professional career, he has published over 50 papers, delivered over 100 lectures, authored/edited four important books in his chosen field, and sponsored/supported organizations and causes related to Library Science.
Digital Library Development, Digital Preservation, Reengineering Management and Publishing are some of the main areas of his interest. As a Project Leader he was responsible for Library Automation of Planning Commission Library. He was Managing Editor of "Paradigm: IMT Journal" (1997-2002). He was actively involved in DAE, TIFR Libraries Consortia.
Member of Editorial /Advisory Board
- Gyankosh: The Journal of Library and Information Science (2010); published by INMANTAC Publishing; Ghaziabad (U.P.), India. ISSN No. 2229 - 4023
- Kalakalpa: Journal of the Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts; published by Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts, New Delhi, India (209-2011).
- ISST Journal of advances in librarianship (2011); published by Intellectual Society for Socio – Techno Welfare; Ghaziabad (U.P.), India.
- Journal of Library Management a quarterly journal of Management Libraries Network (MANLIBNET)
- Indian Journal of Knowledge Management- A quarterly Journal of Department of Library & Information Science, Ch, Charan Singh University, Meerut.
- Member Editorial advisory board of journal, "KIIT Journal of Library and Information Management" of KIIT University, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India.
- Member Editorial Board of journal Trends in Information Management, Department of Library and Information Science, University of Kashmir, India
- Inspire: A Quarterly Magazine of the Eminent (2007); published by The Eminent, New Delhi.
- Member Review Committee World Digital Libraries: The International Journal of TERI
- Guest Editor for Special Issue on Digital Preservation of DESIDOC Journal of Library and Information Technology (July 2012). Will also bring out Special issue on Library Outreach Programmes in May 2014 and on Embedded Librarianship in November 2014.
He along with Prof. Krishan Kumar and Mr. V. Jairaj has contributed a chapter entitled "India: Libraries, Archives and Museums" in the 3rd edition of Encyclopedia of Library and information Sciences published by Taylor and Francis, USA.
Attended the UNESCO IFAP International Conference "Preservation of Digital Information in the Information Society" held in Moscow during 3-5 October 2011and presented a paper "Development of Digital Repository on Indian Cultural Heritage: A collaborate Project under the National Digital Preservation programme (NDPP) of India".
Dr. Gaur has been the conference Director/member of Organizing Committees/Key Note Speaker in various National/International Conferences organized in India. He has organized various National and International Conferences in collaboration with bodies like SLA, IFLA, MANLIBNET, UPLA, RRC, IASLIC, Max Mueller Bhawan, GBO and Bharat Soka Gakkai etc. He has guided a number of students of M.L.I.Sc, M. Phil., Ph.D, B.Lib.I.Sc, PGDCA, MCA of various Universities.
Dr. Ramesh C Gaur
PGDCA, MLISc,Ph.D. Fulbright Scholar (Virginia Tech, USA)
Jawaharlal Nehru University,
New Meharuli Road,
New Delhi – 110067
Tele +91-11-26742605, 26704551
Fax : +91-11-26741603
Mobile : 9810487158
Email firstname.lastname@example.org ,