International Students Association
Namaskar and Heartiest Welcome, for coming to one of the best known hub of Academics and Cultural exchanges-JNU. You will soon start a relationship which will show its warm hospitality and uniqueness even beyond classroom lectures. Soak in the diverse campus life and be ready for surprises JNU has everything for you–Quality Education, Renowned Scholars, Personal Development Activities, Cultural Exchanges, Ideological Ports, Multi-Ethnic, Multi-Racial Student Communities, Hostels and Hostel Nights, Food Courts, Open Air Music Concerts, Film and Food Festivals, Prehistoric Caves, beautiful Flora and Fauna, Deers, Neelgai and Peacocks and endless number of Seminars and chai with it. And ISA is always there for you!
The International Students Association (ISA) is an official component body of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU). Instituted in 1985 under the name of Foreign Students Association (FSA) [the name was changed to ISA by JNU administration in March 2011] with a view to promote friendly relations and cultural exchange among international and host students of the varsity; ISA has so far been a platform to around 600 international students from around 50 countries, a fair size of them coming from South Asia, South-East Asia, Central Asia, Africa and Europe. ISA looks after the interest of the overseas students studying in JNU. It assists new international entrants, solves their problems and ensures better facilities for the diverse overseas student community. ISA has a constitution and elected Executive, Cultural, Advisory and Financial Committees and functions democratically and regular General Body Meetings are held keeping the ethos of JNU in mind. All international students of JNU are also members of the ISA. It gives them their own space where they can communicate their ideas, discuss their problems and organize various inter-cultural activities and thus create a home away from home.
In keeping with the universally accepted nomenclatures, the newly elected FSA Executive Committee in consultation with JNU Administration, substituted the term Foreign with International on March 2011.
Introducing the ISA Executive Committee
Our Motto: For a Participatory, Equitable and Accountable ISA, all Together!
Orientation Information for the Newcomers
- Passport with Student/Research Visa
- Original Degree Certificate (with attested English Translation if it is in other language)
- Letter from your home university/embassy (explaining the degree level/equivalence with Indian degrees)
- Letter from your Scholarship institution (if you have any scholarship)
- Health Certificate (from your home country or from a hospital in Delhi)
- Around 20 passport photographs (you can get copies made from Photo Studio in KC )
- Money for the tuition fee and hostel registration (for tuition you can pay in US dollar or Indian Rupees but you should have Indian Rupees for Hostel, there is a money changer and 2 Western Union in JNU, in KC and behind Tapti Hostel)
- Photocopy of all documents
Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO)
According to Indian Governmental policy all Foreign Nationals arriving in India are required to register themselves at the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO), Delhi within 14 days after arrival but only after registering at JNU and the following documents are required:
- Bonafide certificate from your center in JNU (after registration in JNU)
- Id number (which issue by university)
- Residence proof from your hostel/landlord in Delhi
- Your Passport and visa
- Copy of Admission
- Photocopy of all mentioned documents with photos
- FRRO form(which is available in the FRRO website for registration)
Add and Drop Folio
All BA and MA students need to choose some optional courses in each semester along with their compulsory courses and they can 'Add' a course or ' Drop' (cancel) a course from their chosen list through the system of 'Add and Drop Folio', but submit only within the prescribed deadline as mentioned in the semester schedule.
- Registering in each semester is mandatory.
- Please read all the Mandatory, Rules, Regulations, Notices and Instructions given to you carefully to make your registration easy and problem free.
- And keep a photocopy of all the documents, forms, fee receipts and letters you are submitting or filling.
- For further information please contact your center
Go to the Administration Building, the free space between the two buildings has been appropriated for Registration for the International Students), then show your admission letter. Your documents will be verified over there. The officer will give you a slip for the cashier, Finance Section Room No.13 for Tuition Fee.
Note: Timing for paying the tuition fee is from 10:00am to 12:00pm. ICCR scholars just ask for receipt and contact ICCR for admission fees.
Go back to Room No. 20, show the fee receipt and collect folios. Fill them and get signature from the same officer, Mr. Dharampal in Room No. 20. He will collect two folios.
Go to Dean of Students (DOS) and apply for the hostels. Girls applying for Yamuna Hostel (for single room) will have to write an application to VC asking for room while others can just fill the hostel forms (boys in level of Mphil/PhD can apply for Brahmaputra Hostel for single room). Hostel will be allotted in 3-5 days. Retain the receipt. Submit hostel folio in that hostel after you have been allotted a room.
Go to your School and your Center/Department and fill the subjects you want to opt for. Get the Signature from the Administrative Officer (A.O.) for the School. Also get the signature of your chairperson or supervisor of your school.
Go to Library, fill the necessary documents and get your ID card number. Library copy will be deposited there. Ask for Internet Access Identity Number in Library.
Go to the A.O. of your school again and get your University ID card.
Read the mandatory for ADD/DROP the Optional Courses and make sure that you have submitted the relevant folios within prescribed deadline (they are small size colored folios)
For futher details, please contact
1. For Academic Related Queries
Dr. Rohini Muthuswami
Advisor of the International Students Affairs
Tel: 0091-11- 26704356
2. For Admission Related Queries
Mr. P. K. Maurya
Deputy Registrar (Admissions)
Tel: 0091-11- 26704047
3. For Accommodation and Facilities on Campus
Prof. Rana P. Singh
Dean of Students
Tel: 0091-11- 26741523, 0091-11-26704554
Do not forget that JNU Administration and your friends in ISA are always there to help you. So let us meet each other
Vice President, ISA
General Secretary, ISA
Joint Secretary, ISA
Contact Address: International Students Association (ISA), First Floor, Teflas (opposite to Narmada Hostel), JNU