Dr. Sanjay Bhardwaj
ASIA Fellow-2010-2011, (ASF, Bangkok)
University of Dhaka, Dhaka-1000
Assistant Professor for South Asian Studies
School of International Studies,
Jawaharlal Nehru University,
New Delhi-110067 (INDIA)
TEL. +91-9350250078, 91-11-26704350
Current Research Engagement in LSE:
‘Bangladeshi Perspective on India: a study of water sharing Issue since 1996’
Area of Specialization:
- Bangladesh: Internal Dynamics; Religion, Society, Identity, Political Development and Foreign Policy and External Linkages/Relations with India, USA, China and Islamic World
- South Asia: Society, Culture, religion and Political Development, Energy, Security, Regional & Sub-regional Cooperation
Teaching Assignments in JNU
Course Title : Bangladesh: Domestic Politics and Foreign Policy
Course Title : South Asia: Government and Politics
Total experience (Teaching & research) – 12 years
- Teaching - 10 Years and Research - 2 year
- Currently Ph D scholars Guiding: 15
- Number of Ph D awarded : 02
- Number of M Phil awarded: 17
- Number of M Phil scholars guiding: 03
- Asia Fellow (2010-2011) (Asia Scholarship Foundation, Bangkok) at University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Research Engagement in Bangladesh: ‘Bangladeshi Perspective on India: a study of water sharing Issue since 1996’
- Sir Ratan Tata Fellow (2009-2010) at Asia Research Centre, London School of Economics and Political Science, London, UK. Research Engagement in LSE: ‘Identity, Culture and Politics in Bangladesh’
Academic Qualifications (Degree and year of awards)
- PhD, South Asian Studies, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, INDIA (2001).
- M.Phil, South Asian Studies, School of International Studies, JNU, New Delhi (1997).
- M.A. Political Science, Department of Political Science, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, INDIA (1995).
- B.A. (Political Science, Economics and English Litt.), University of Rajasthan College, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, (1993)
Academic/Research Employment history
- Research Associate at South Asian Studies, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi (Dec 2002- Sep2003).
- Project Fellow, Energy Cooperation in Eastern South Asia Sub-Region (Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, and India)” by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, Kolkata (2002)
- Researcher, India’s Extended Neighbourhood: Prospects of Energy Cooperation, Project Undertaken by Prof.S.D.Muni And Prof. Girijesh Pant Feb 2002-Aug 2002
- Lecturer, (Political Science) University of Delhi, New Delhi, INDIA (1998-2002)
Orientation/ Refresher Courses
- Refresher Course on “Contemporary Socio-Political and Economic Challenges and Issues in South Asia at South Asian Studies Centre, University Of Rajasthan, Jaipur-2009
- Orientation Course at Academic Staff College, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi-2006
Administrative Positions Held
- Proctor, JNU- 2005 to 2009 (Four Years)
- Coordinator, South Asian Studied Division, CSCSEAS&WPS, SIS- 2004-2005
- Warden, 2005
- Bangladesh-US Relations: From Cooperation to Partnership, Published by Kalinga Publications, New Delhi, INDIA (2002).
List of Articles
- Indo-Bangladesh Border: Issues and Challenges in Indo-Bangladesh Dialogue, Farooq Sobhan (ed), UPL, Dhaka, 2006
- The Rites of the Passage: Religious Politics in Bangladesh, Journal of International Affairs, vol.8, Nos.1&2, June & December 2004
- Bangladesh At 35: Internal Dynamics and External Linkages, Journal of International Affairs, vol.9, Nos.1&2, June & December 2005
- Foreign Policy of Bangladesh vis-à-vis India, Strategic Analysis, Institute for Defense Studies and Analysis, New Delhi, Vol. 27 No.2, April-June- 2003
- Indo-Bangladesh Ganges water Treaty-1996: in “Strengthening Cooperation and Security in South Asia” Farooq Sobhan (ed), UPL, Dhaka, 2004. (discussant Paper)
- Cooperative Security in South Asia: The Future Outlook, in “Strengthening Cooperation and Security in South Asia” Farooq Sobhan (ed), UPL, Dhaka, 2004
- State of Democracy in South Asia: The Assessment Framework in ‘Democracies in South Asia’ (ed) by B. C. Upreti, South Asian Studies Centre, University Of Rajasthan, Jaipur-2010
- Ninth Parliamentary Elections in Bangladesh: A Call for Change, South Asian studies, South Asian Studies Centre, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, 2009
- Bangladesh: Internal Dynamics, South Asian studies, South Asian Studies Centre, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, 2007
- India’s Trust for Energy security: Need for India-Central asia Cooperation, Contemprory Central Asia vol.x , No.3, December 2006
- Bangladesh: Road to Pakistan, South Asian studies, South Asian Studies Centre, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, 2007
- Bangladesh Elections 2007: Problem Ahead, Institute of Peace and conflict Studies No.2146, 2007
- Foreign Policy of Bangladesh: New Dimentions in a book edited by Sunita Kumar and Vipin Chandra Dus Publicaton and IDSA, New Delhi, 2007
- Indo-Bangladesh Relations: Issues and Trends in“India’s Foreign Policy towards Its Neighbors by B.C.Upreti (ed) Kalinga Publications, New Delhi, 2002.
- The US Policy in South Asia: Following 11 September Terrorist assault Published in Mainstream, Vol. XL No.39, 2002
- India-Central Asia Relations:Quest for Energy Security in South-Central Asia:Emerging Issues by Kuldeep Singh (ed) GND University, Amritsar, 2005
- Religion and Politics in Bangladesh in Minorities and Human Right in Bangladesh by Dipanker Sen Gupta and S K Singh(ed.) Authors Publications, New Delhi in January, 2003
- Mutiny in Bangladesh: Has Democracy Reached an Impasse? In INFA, 2009
- Indian Foreign service; History and Challenges by J.N. Dixit, Foreign Affairs journal, vol.1 No.1, January-March, 2006
- The Jamdani Revolution: Politics, Personalities and Civil Society in Bangladesh 1989-92 by Krishanan Srinivasan Foreign Affairs journal, vol.3 No.4, October-December, 2008
- Participated as moderator in an International Symposium, on the theme of “Asia-ASEAN and International Society in 21st Century”, organized by Ministry of External Affairs, Government of Japan, Under Global Youth Exchange Programme-2003, held in Japan from 19th January to 1st February, 2003.
- Participated in “Indo-Bangladesh Dialogue” Organized by Bangladesh Enterprise Institute, Dhaka, held on 17th to19th January 2006 at Dhaka
- Participated in a workshop on “Strengthening Cooperation and Security in South Asia After 9/11” Organized by Bangladesh Enterprise Institute, Dhaka, held on 1st to3rd July 2003 at Dhaka.
- Awarded scholarship by Indian Council Social Science Research, New Delhi for Doctoral Research in 2000.
- Qualified National Eligibility Test (Political Science), Exam conducted by University Grant Commission, New Delhi, INDIA (1997).
79, New Transit House, Phase-III,
JNU, New Delhi-110067