Dr Choedon has been a member of the Centre Faculty since 2004. Her Ph.D. thesis was on “China, the United Nations and Major Conflict Situations in Asia”. From October 1988 to March 2004, she worked as Lecturer and later as Reader in Political Science and International Relations at the Sikkim Government College, Gangtok. She was awarded the UGC Career Award from 1995 to 1998 and was a DAAD Fellow at Free University, Berlin in 1997. She attended and presented papers at the World Congress on Human Rights, New Delhi in December 1990 and he has been frequently attending international seminar on Tibetan Studies. She has also attended and presented papers at the XVIth World Congress of International Political Science Association in 1994. Dr Choedon has attended and participated in numerous other seminars, conferences and workshops in India and abroad.
Dr Choedon’s research interests are in the field of peace, security, democratization and human rights. She teaches M.Phil. courses on ‘United Nations and Global Problems’ and “Theoretical Issues in International Organization”.
She visited New York, USA for field work for her Ph.D. and Washington DC, USA for field work for a research project on “US-China Relations: Human Rights Dimensions”, in July 1998.
- China and the United Nations (New Delhi: South Asian Publishers, 1999).
- [Co-author with Dawa Norbu] Tibet (New Delhi: Roli Books, 1997).
(b) Chapters in edited books
- “Role of India and Australia in the UN Peacekeeping Operations: Convergences and Divergences”, in D. Gopal (ed.), India-Australia Relations: Convergences and Divergences (Delhi: Shirpa, 2008).
- “Democratization Aspect of the Peace Building in Afghanistan: The Role of United Nations” (submitted for publication for seminar volume, 2008).
- “Mainstreaming the Gender in Democratization of Afghanistan: The Role of United Nations” (submitted for publication for seminar volume, 2008).
- “India’s Role in the UN Peacekeeping Operations: An Analysis of the Rationale of Participation” (submitted for publication for seminar volume, 2006).
- “United Nations Peace Activities” (lesson for Senior Secondary course in Political Science in the Module on World Order and the United Nations for National Institute of Open Schooling, New Delhi, 2005).
- “Issues of Tibetan Nationalism and National Identify” in Henk Blezer, (ed.), Tibet: Past and Present (Leiden: Brill, 2002).
- “Politics and Diplomacy in the UN” in G.P. Deshpande and Alka Acharya, (ed.), 50 Years of India and China (New Delhi: Tulika, 2001).
- “Impact of Modernization on Society and Culture of Sikkim” in K. Warikoo, (ed.), Society and Culture in the Himalayas (Delhi: Har-anand Publishers, 1995).
- “The Rights of Minorities” in K.P. Saksena, (ed.), Human Rights Perspective and Challenges (New Delhi: Lancers Books, 1994).
- “Chinese National Minorities Policy: Special Reference to Tibet” in K. Warikoo and Dawa Norbu, (eds.), Ethnicity and Politics in Central Asia (Delhi: South Asian Publishers, 1992).
- “China: Domestic Constraints” in K.P. Saksena, (ed.), The Gulf in Turmoil - A Global Response (New Delhi: Lancers, 1992).
(c) Research Papers in Journals
- “Paradox of International System for Tibet Question”, World Focus, 2008, submitted.
- “The Question of Tibet in Recent Times”, World Focus, 2007, vol.xxvii, no.3, 107-112.
- “Chasing the Security Council Dream”, Africa Quarterly (New Delhi) 2007, vol.47, no.1, 22-29.
- “India and the Current Concerns of UN Peacekeeping: Issues and Prospects”, India Quarterly, 2007, vol. LXIII, no.2, April-June, 150-184.
- “India’s Perspective on the UN Security Council Reform”, India Quarterly, 2007, vol. LXIII, no.4, October-December, 14-48.
- “The Current Trends in UN Peacekeeping and India: Issues and Prospects” India Foreign Affairs Journal (New Delhi) 2006, vol.1, no.4, 60-77.
- “China’s Stand on UN Peacekeeping Operations: Changing Priorities of Foreign Policy”, China Report, 2005, 41(1), 39-56.
- “Role of the United Nations in Promoting Women’s Empowerment: A Case Study of India”, Journal of Contemporary Asia and Europe (Jaipur) 2005, vol.II, no.1, Jan-June, 59-80.
- “The United Nations and Women’s Rights: An Overview of Issues and Achievements”, South Asian Journal of Human Rights (Siliguri) 2005, vol.1, no.1, 1-22.
- “Nations and Women’s Rights: An Overview of Issues and Achievements”, South Asian Journal of Human Rights (Siliguri) June 2005.
- “The Human Rights Factor in US-China Relations: The Carter Period”, China Report (New Delhi), vol. 36, no.2, April-June 2000.
- “Human Rights as a Factor in German Foreign Policy”, Indian Journal of Politics (Aligarh) 1997, vol. xxxi, no.4.
- “Cultural Evolution of Sikkim: A Survey”, Bulletin of Tibetology (Gangtok) 1995, Seminar Volume.
- “Tibet and Recent Development in Central Asia”, Indian Journal of Politics (Aligarh) 1993, vol. xxvii, no.1-2.
- “The Third World in China’s Foreign Policy”, Strategic Studies (Kathmandu) 1986, no.8-10.