Ph.D. 1978 : Department of Biochemistry
National Sugar Institute, Kanpur, INDIA.
M.Sc(Chemistry) 1972 : Kanpur University, Kanpur.
* Molecular Biology of Infectious Diseases
* Recombinant Vaccine Development
* Programmed cell death in prokaryotes
(a) Administrative Experience
2018- till date: Vice Chancellar, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
2013 - 2015: Dean, School of Biotechnology
2012 - 2013: Vice Chancellor, Kumaun University
2011 - 2012: Director, Academic staff college, Jawaharlal Nehru University.
2009 - 2011: Director, Advanced Instrumentation Research Facility, Jawaharlal Nehru University.
2006 onwards : Chairman, Intellectual Property Management Cell, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
2001 - 2003 : Chairman, Centre for Biotechnology, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
1993 - 1995 : Chairman, Centre for Biotechnology, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
1990 - 1993 : Chairman, Bioinformatics Centre, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
(b) Academic Experience
1997 onwards : Professor, School of Biotechnology, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
1989 - 1997 : Associate Professor, Centre for Biotechnology, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
1987 - 1989 : Senior NRC Associate, USAMRIID, Fredrick MD, USA.
1986 - 1987 : Visiting Associate, NHLBI, NIH,Bethesda, MD, USA.
1985 - 1986 : Visiting Assistant Prof., Lab. Connective Tissue, Biochemistry, CHU, Caen, FRANCE.
1983 - 1985 : Assistant Professor of Biochemistry, Post Graduate Institute of Med. Education & Research, Chandigarh.
1982 - 1983 : Pool Officer, Department of Biochemistry, V. P. Chest Institute, University of Delhi.
1979 - 1982 : Scientist (Wiessenschaftliecher Angeschtelter), Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Freiburg University, Freiburg, GERMANY.
* ICMR award for development of recombinant vaccine against anthrax
* Visitor’s Award, 2016 in the category of Innovation conferred by the Hon’ble President of India
* J.C. Bose National Fellow
* Fellow, Indian National Science Academy, India
* Prof. Rakesh Bhatnagar was ranked among the top 10(Actually 7 from top) eminent researchers publishing commendable research papers on anthrax. (Open source Global Anthrax Research Literature 2006)
* Fellow, National Academy of Sciences, India.
* Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, India.
* Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) award for outstanding research work in the field of Immunology (Development of recombinant anthrax vaccine) for the year 2001, received on 14th Dec. 2003.
* All India Biotech Association Award 2001-2002, in recognition of achievements in Promotion of Biotechnology, In the Area of Biotechnology for Health Care.
* Bikul Das, MBBS, PhD, Associate Research Investigator, Department of Immunity and Infectious Diseases, Forsyth Institute, Cambridge MA
* Prof. Vitor Martin dos Santos, Systems and Synthetic Biology, Wageningen University, Netherlands.
* Ram Samudrala, Associate Professor, Computational Biology Research Group, University of Washington, Seattle.
* Prof. Venugopal Nair, Head, Avian Infectious Disease, Institute of Animal Health, Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council. United Kingdom
1. Garhyan J, Bhuyan S, Pulu I, Kalita D, Das B, Bhatnagar R. (2015) Preclinical and Clinical Evidence of Mycobacterium tuberculosisPersistence in the Hypoxic Niche of Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stem Cells after Therapy. Am J Pathol.;185(7):1924-34.
2. Garg R, Tripathi D, Kant S, Chandra H, Bhatnagar R., Banerjee N. (2015) The conserved hypothetical protein Rv0574c is required for cell wall integrity, stress tolerance, and virulence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Infect Immun.;83(1):120-9.
3. Kaur M., Saxena A., Rai A. and Bhatnagar R. (2010) Rabies DNA vaccine encoding lysosome targeted glycoprotein supplemented with EMULSIGEN D confers complete protection in pre-and post-exposure studies in BALB/c mice. FASEB J.; 24, 173-183.
4. Agarwal S., Mishra N.K., Bhatnagar S. and Bhatnagar R. (2010) PemK Toxin of Bacillus anthracis Is a Ribonuclease an insight into its active site, structure,and function .J .Biol. Chem,; 285,7254-7270.
5. Midha S. and Bhatnagar R. (2009) Anthrax protective antigen administered by DNA vaccination to distinct subcellular locations potentiates humoral and cellular immune responses.European Journal of Immunology; 39(1): 159- 177.
1. Somani VK, Aggarwal S, Singh D, Prasad T, Bhatnagar R (2016) Identification of Novel Raft Marker Protein, FlotP in Bacillus anthracis.Front Microbiol.;7:169.
2. Panda G, Tanwer P, Ansari S, Khare D, Bhatnagar R. (2015) Regulation and RNA-binding properties of Hfq-like RNA chaperones in Bacillus anthracis. Biochim Biophys Acta.;1850(9):1661-1668.
3. Gurudutta Panda, Trayambak Basak, Pooja Tanwer, Shantanu Sengupta, Vitor A.P. Martins dos Santos, Rakesh Bhatnagar. (2014)Delineating the Effect of Host Environmental Signals on a Fully Virulent Strain of Bacillus anthracis using an Integrated Transcriptomics and Proteomics Approach. Journal of Proteomics; 105:242-65.
* R.Bhatnagar (2017) Generation and functional characterization of anti-Mtb Enolase monoclonal antibody. Application filed
* R. Bhatnagar (2017) Poly L-glutamines adjuvants isolated from Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv cell wall. Application filed
* R. Bhatnagar (2017) A novel anthrax vaccine comprising LF-PA chimera. Application filed
* R.Bhatnagar (2017) 1,3,6-Trigalloyl-β-D-Glucose and Quercitin Dihydrate: The Novel and Potential Therapeutic Compounds Against Anthrax. Application filed
* R. Bhatnagar (2012) A novel bispecific monoclonal antibody capable of cross reacting with the lethal factor (LF) and edema factor (EF) and neutralizing edema toxin as well as lethal toxin of Bacillus anthracis. US patent (13/636,239) application filed.
* R. Bhatnagar (2011) A novel bispecific monoclonal antibody capable of cross reacting with the lethal factor (LF) and edema factor (EF) and neutralizing edema toxin as well as lethal toxin of Bacillus anthracis. International PCT (PCT/IN20011/000191) application filed.
* R. Bhatnagar (2010) A novel bispecific monoclonal antibody capable of cross reacting with the lethal factor(LF) and edema factor(EF) and neutralizing edema toxin(ET) as well as lethal toxin(LT) of Bacillus anthracis. Indian patent (714/DEL/2010) application filed.
* R. Bhatnagar (2008) A Pharmaceutical Composition of Vaccine against Rabies which Comprises of DNA Vaccine based on Glycoprotein Gene of Rabies Virus Conjugated to LAMP-1 Signal Sequence of the C-Terminus and an Adjuvant and Method of its Preparation thereof . Indian patent (1449/DEL/2008) application filed.
* R. Bhatnagar (2007, 2008). DNA vaccine against Anthrax. Indian patent (2355/DEL/2007) and International PCT (PCT/IN2008/000761) applications filed.
* R. Bhatnagar (2007, 2008). Insecticidal XnGroEL protein from Xenorhabdus nematophila Indian Patent (1092/DEL/2007) and International PCT (PCT/IN2008/000316) application filed.
* R. Bhatnagar (2005). Transformation of an edible crop with paga Gene of Bacillus Anthracis. Indian patent (2078/DEL/2005) application filed.
* R. Bhatnagar (2002).An Anthrax Protective Antigen. Indian patent (1074/Del/2002) application filed.
* R. Bhatnagar (2001-2002). A Process for the Preparation of Non-Toxic Anthrax Vaccine. Indian patent (1222/Del/2001) accepted. International PCT application (PCT/IN2002/00048; WO-03-048390A1, June 12, 2003) published.
* R. Bhatnagar (2001). A process for constitutively preparing anthrax protective antigen. Indian patent (1127/Del/2001) accepted.
* R. Bhatnagar (2001). An Anthrax Protective Antigen. Indian patent (1074/Del/2002) accepted.
* R. Bhatnagar (2001). High Level Constitutive Production of Anthrax Protective Antigen. International PCT application (PCT/IN01/00215; WO-03-040179A1, 15 May 2003) published.