JNU is a research university which takes pride in exploring the frontier areas of knowledge and research. A number of studies pursued in JNU involve participation of human subjects. Speech and language deficit in cases of neurological damage, aphasia studies, dyslexia and developmental disorders of language, SLI, acquisition in children with normal / delayed onset of speech and language, heritability of voice patterns etc are some of the areas being currently pursued. The National Centre of Applied Human Genetics at SLS and number of other Centres/Schools have a number of projects involving human subjects. In view of the above, JNU Executive Council vide its resolution no. 5.3. dated 3/09/08 approved the constitution of Institutional Ethics Review Board (IERB-JNU) to review all research proposals involving human subjects, submitted by faculty members and research students.
Constitution of IERB
A. Constitution of IERB- JNU as approved by the JNU EC is as follows:
2. Scientist from Medical Practice (External)
3. Scientist from Basic Sciences (External)
4. Scientist from Basic Sciences (Internal, JNU)
5. Social Scientist / Philosopher / Social Activist (External)
6. Social Scientist / Philosopher / Social Activist (Internal, JNU)
7. Advisor, Member of ethics review board of another Institution (ICMR, AIIMS, ICGEB )
8. Legal Advisor (External)
9. Legal Advisor (Internal, JNU)
10. Lay Persons (one or two)
11. Member - Secretary (JNU)
A panel of names in each one of these categories was also approved by the EC in the same meeting of the 3rd Sept 2008, as per ICMR guidelines for research on human subjects. Since 2008 several project proposals and M.Phil/ Ph.D research proposals were reviewed by committees constituted by the Chairperson involving at least one person from each category as specified in A above.
A fresh panel of names in each one of the categories was approved by the EC in its meeting held on 5th April 2011, vide resolution number 6.22. Since the Chairperson, Prof R.N.K.Bamezai has joined MVDTU, Jammu as Vice Chancellor, the name of Prof Shiv K.Sarin, Director, Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi, is approved as Chairperson for a period of five years from the date of appointment. Prof R.N.K.Bamezai continues to be a member of the IERB as indicated in category 4 below, i. e. as Researcher from Basic sciences (internal). For the sake of continuity the panel also includes names of some of the earlier members for another term. Every category has a panel of four to five names so that at least one from each category may be included while constituting a committee for a specific project review meeting.
The panel names in each category as approved by the Executive Council, JNU
• Prof. Amit Dinda, MD Department of Pathology, AIIMS, New Delhi
Vice Chairperson (optional) [Non-affiliated]
• Dr. Sameer Gulat, MBBS,MD,FACP, Associate Professor, Safdurjung Hospital
Member Secretary (optional) (Affiliated)
• Dr. Sushil Kumar Jha, SLS
Alternate Member Secretary [optional) [Affiliated]
• Prof. Binay R Panda, SBT
Basic Medical Scientist(s)[Affiliated/Non-Affiliated]
• Prof. Sandeep Saxena, SBT
• Prof. Praveen Verma, SLS
• Prof. Rakesh Tyagi, SCMM
• Dr. Prafull Tailor, NII, New Delhi
• Dr. Neel S. Bhavesh, ICGEB, New Delhi
• Prof. Alok Bharti, Delhi University
• Prof. Govind Makharia, MD, Department of Gastroenterology, AIIMS, New Delhi
• Prof. S.C. Malik Sir Ganga Ram Hospital New Delhi
• Dr. Hitesh Verma, AIIMS, New Delhi
• Dr. P.K. Gulati, Gulati Imaging Institute, Hauz Khas New Delhi
• Dr. Saroj Mohapatra, NIBMG, Kalyani West Bengal
• Dr. Nikunj Makwana, SCDR/JNU
Legal Expert[s] [Affiliated/Non-Affiliated]
• Director, Legal Cell, JNU
• DR/AR Legal Cell, JNU
• Advocate Bhushan Mahendra Oza, Supreme Court, New Delhi
Social Scientist/Philosopher/Ethicist/Theologian [Affiliated/Non-Affiliated]
• Prof. Madhav Govind, CSSP/SSS
• Prof. Bhaswati Das, CSRD/SSS
• Prof. Milap Punia, CSRD/SSS
• Dr. Nemthianngai Guite, CSM&CH/SSS
• Prof. Manisha Tripathi Pandey, Jamai Millia Islamia
• Prof. D.Gopal, IGNOU
• Prof. Kailash Narayan Tiwari, Delhi University
• Prof. Bala Ganapati Devarakonda, Delhi University
Lay Person(s) [ Non-Affiliated]
• Shri Harsh Verma, Pitampura New Delhi
• Smt. Vrishali Yadav, Navy Children School, New Delhi
Every member in the panel will have a tenure of three years, after which a fresh panel of three names in the same category will be submitted to the EC, JNU so that one out of the three may be appointed in place of the retiring person. For the sake of continuity the Chairperson and the Member- Secretary will have a term of five years.
Terms of Appointment
As per ICMR guidelines, the appointee will be informed of the rights and duties of the committee. and that the external members will receive honorarium for every consultative meeting held on the campus.
The ERC will meet at least once in two months/twice every semester or more if required, to review all the applications including proposals for M.Phil/Ph.D. research; also including research proposals submitted by the faculty involving human subjects for any kind of data. The internal members of the committee will screen the proposals before they are circulated to the external members. The presence of Minimum five persons including the Chairperson and Member Secretary will be mandatory to conduct a meeting.
Once the IERB is satisfied that the study is in no way harmful to the subjects under study, the committee will issue an Ethical Clearance Certificate, valid for the period of study specified.
The committee will also advise the researcher about the "informed consent" to be obtained from the subjects, and "confidentiality" to be maintained vis-a-vis subjects.