Formal Demography including measurement; Population and Development; Mortality and Health; Ageing; Health Economics
* Visiting Fellowship, Population Research Centre, School of Spatial Sciences, University of Groningen, The Netherlands, May, 2014.
* Visiting Fellowship, Centre for Research on Ageing, University of Southampton, UK, May 7-17, 2014.
* Panel Member on “New Challenges in Population and Development” set up by International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (IUSSP) for the period 2010-13.
* Visiting Fellow, International Institute for Applied System Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria, May-June, 2010.
* ESRC-ICSSR visiting fellowship to London School of Economics, London during April-June, 2009.
* Visiting Fellowship, French National Institute of Demographic Studies (INED), Paris, France, November- December, 2007.
* The Srinivasan Award for best substantive paper published in the journal ‘Demography India’ in the year 2001.
* Visiting Fellowship, Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA, May-November, 2000.
1. "Impacts of Demand Side Financing Instruments on the Continuum of Care for Maternal and Child Health in India and Bangladesh" in Collaboration with in University of Portsmouth, UK; University of St Andrews, UK; Sheffield Hallam University, UK and ICRRB, Bangladesh (funded by Medical Research Council, UK; DFID, UK and Department of Biotechnology, New Delhi), 20016-18.
2. "Ageing and Well-being in a Globalising World" in collaboration with University of Groningen, Netherlands and University of Southampton, UK (under the India-European Research Networking Programme: ICSSR -ANR-DFG-ESRC-NWO Joint Funding Scheme), 2013-16.
3. "Migrant’s Suitcase: Examining the Flow of Norms, Identity and Social Capital Between India and Netherlands" in collaboration with the University of Groningen, The Netherlands (funded by NWO, The Netherlands), 2013-15.
4. "Inequalities in Access to Healthcare in Brazil and India: Closing the Gap for the Poorest-poor", in collaboration with University of Southampton, UK; London School of Economics, UK and CEPED, Brazil, (funded by ESRC, UK), 2010-11.
1. "The Contemporary Fertility Transition in India", International Journal of South Asian Studies, 2016 (Co-author: Annie George).
2. "Golden Cage: The stability of marriage in India" Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. L, No.13, March 28, 2015 (with K. Srinivasan).
3. "The Burden of Maternal Health Care Expenditure in India: Multilevel Analysis of National Data", Maternal and Child Health Journal, Vol. 17, No. 9, P:1622-1630, 2013 (With Tiziana Leone, and Sabu S Padmadas).
4. "Education and the Global Fertility Transition: Foreword", Vienna Year Book of Population Research, Vol. 10. No.1, P:1-8 , 2012 (Co-authors: V. Skirbekk, J. Van Bavel).
5. "India’s Demographic Change, Opportunities and Challenges", Science, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), July, 29, 2011.
1. "Care Needs and Care Givers: Associations and Effects of Living Arrangements on Caregiving to Older Adults in India", Ageing International, 2016, (with Ugargol, Allen Prabhaker, Inge Hutter and Ajay Bailey).
2. "India’s Support System for the Elderly: Emerging Challenges", in K Gayithri and K V Raju (eds) State, Governance and Financing of India’s Development, Cambridge University Press, New Delhi, 2016 (Co-author: T S Syamala)
3. "View from a Fast Growing Nation: What demographic change means for India?", in Katinka Barysch (ed) Our Wold and Us: How our Environment and our Societies Change, Allianz SE: Germany, 2015 (Co-author: N. Kavitha).