Functional genomics, Forward and reverse genetics, abiotic stress and crop biotechnology
Adjunct Professor May 2017 -till date at the University of Western, Australia
Professor April 2013- Till date (Teaching & Research)
Associate Professor April 2007 – March 2013 (Teaching & Research)
Assistant Professor August 2003-March 2007 (Teaching & Research) School of Life Sciences, JNU, New Delhi-67
CREST Fellow April 2012 – July 2012 (DBT-Overseas) Professor Oliver Fiehn (Metabolomics) University of California, Davis, USA
Visiting Fellow April 2006- June 2006 (INSA-Royal Society) Professor R A Leigh University of Cambridge, U.K.
‘BOYSCAST’ Fellow May 2002-July 2002 (DST) Professor Hans Bohnert UIUC, IL, USA
Lecturer June 1999-August 2003 (Teaching & Research) School of Biotechnology, GGS Indraprastha University, Kashmere Gate, Delhi-110007 [Integrated course of 512years B.Tech/M.Tech in Biotechnology]
Research Scientist August 1998—June 1999 Professor Deepak Pental, Vice Chancellor, University of Delhi Department of Genetics, University of Delhi South Campus
Post-Doctoral Fellow June 1997 – July 1998 (The Rockefeller Found.) Professor Ralph S Quatrano Dept. of Biology, University of North Carolina, USA
1. National Academy of Agricultural Sciences Fellowship award on 5th June 2016 by the NAAS for his contribution in the area of Plant Science (5th June 2016)
2. J.J. Chinoy Gold Medal Award by Indian Society of Plant Physiology (ISPP) for Contribution in the Area of Plant Science (8-10th Dec 2016)
3. National Academy of Science (NASI)-Reliance Platinum Jubilee Award for Industry Oriented Research in Biological Sciences (2nd Dec 2016)
4. Award of Fellowship (F.N.A.Sc) by the National Academy of Sciences (NASI), Allahabad
5. Nominated as member of Academic Committee of Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP, Lucknow) from 2011-2013 and 2013-2015
6. Nominated as Representative of JNU for 4th International Symposium on Energy & Environment held at Mumbai organized by The McDonnell International Scholars Academy & McDonnell Global Energy & Environment Partnership (MAGEEP), Washington University In St. Louis, December 8th, 12, 2012.
7. Nominated as JURY member at 2ndNational level Exhibition & Project Competitions, INSPIRE, Organized by DST, GOI 21-23 October 2012.
8. Nominated as member of Academic Committee of National Institute of Plant Genomic Resources (NIPGR), New Delhi (2011-2013).
9. CREST Fellowship, DBT, Govt of India, to work at University of California, Davis, CA, USA (2012)
10. Nominated as Associate of National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS), New Delhi (2009).
11. Nominated as Member of National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad (2009).
12. Nominated as Expert member of Board of Studies in Botany at MD University, Rohtak, Haryana
13. Nominated and Expert member of IBSC at JP Institute of Technology, Noida.
14. INSA exchange visitors fellowship 2005 (to work at University of Cambridge, UK).
15. BOYSCAST Fellowship by Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India (2001 to work at University of Illinois, USA).
16. The Rockefeller Foundation Post-doctoral fellowship 1997 in the area of advanced ‘Plant Molecular Biology’ (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA).
17. Member of the American Society of Plant Biologists.
18. Life member of the Society for Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi.
19. Member of The Indian Society of Genetics and Plant Breeding, New Delhi.
20. South Campus (University of Delhi) Scholarship during M.Sc., (1990-91).
Recently, an agreement for transfer of OsHk3b technology for improving tolerance of rice plants towards multiple abiotic stresses has been signed between JNU and a seed industry.
CO-DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM WITH INDUSTRY
An agreement for co-development of abiotic stress tolerant rice plants through OsHk3b technology has been signed with a seed industry in December 2013.
1. Lakra N, Kaur C, Anwar K, Singla-Pareek SL, Pareek A (2017) Proteomics of contrasting rice genotypes: Identification of potential target for raising crops for saline environment. Plant, cell & Environment (http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/pce.12946).
2. Soda N, Sharan A, Gupta BK, Singla-Pareek SL, Pareek A (2016) Evidence for nuclear interaction of a cytoskeleton protein (OsIFL) with metallothionein and its role in salinity stress tolerance. Scientific Reports (doi: 10.1038/srep34762)
3. Schaller GE, Doi K, Hwang I, Kieber JJ, Khurana JP, Kurata N, Mizuno T, Pareek A, Shiu SH, Wu P, Yip WK (2007). Nomenclature for two-component signaling elements of rice. Plant Physiology (http://dx.doi.org/10.1104/pp.106.093666)
4. Pareek A, Singh A, Kumar M, Kushwaha HR, Lynn AM, Singla-Pareek SL (2006). Whole genome analysis of Oryza sativa L. reveals similar architecture of two-component-signaling machinery with Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology (http://dx.doi.org/10.1104/pp.106.086371).
5. Singla-Pareek SL, Yadav SK, Pareek A, Reddy MK, Sopory SK (2006). Transgenic Tobacco overexpressing glyoxalase pathway enzymes grow and set viable seeds in zinc spiked soils. Plant Physiology (doi: 10.1104/pp.105.073734).
Book on “Abiotic Stress Adaptation in Plants: Physiological, Molecular and Genomic Foundation” has been published from Springer in 2010. Ashwani Pareek (Chief Editor), Sudhir K Sopory, Hans J. Bohnert and Govindjee.
Book on “Biotechnology in Medicine and Agriculture: Principles and Practices” has been published from I K Internationals in 2012. – Anil Kumar, Ashwani Pareek and Sanjay Mohan Gupta (Editors).
1. A Method for silencing the expression of a member of two –component system – OsPrr1 to increase salinity stress tolerance in rice” Indian Patent Application No. 3016/DEL/2015
2. A novel rice mutant having multiple abiotic tolerance” Indian Patent Application No. 4025/DEL/2015
3. An Improved rice mutant capable of producing rice line having improved growth rate, yield and crop, and a method of producing the same” Indian patent Application No. 3387/DEL/2013.
4. Improved rice having increased lysine contents, and method of producing the same” Indian patent Application No. 3258/DEL/2013
5. A Method to enhance Multiple Abiotic Stress Tolerance of Crop Plants by over-expression of Cystathionine-ß-synthase domain containing gene and Cystathionine-ß-synthase domain containing gene therefor” Indian patent Application No. 525/DEL/2010
6. Metallothionein polynucleotide from rice conferring abiotic stress tolerance in plants” Indian patent application No 2437/DEL/2009
7. Method for Enhancing Regeneration Frequency of Brassica species and Medium therefor” Indian Patent Application No. 1682/DEL/2008, International [PCT] application No.PCT/IN2009/000402.
8. Hybrid-type Histidine Kinase Gene Isolated from Indica Rice IR64, and Clones Produced Thereby” Indian Patent Application No. 1896/DEL/2008 International [PCT] Application No. PCT/IN2009/000444. National phase applications filed in several countries [granted on 12 January 2016 with USPTO number US 9,234,189 B2]
9. Hybrid-type histidine kinase gene isolated from indica rice ir64, and clone products. Chinese Patent Application No. CN102131930 A.
10. Hybrid-type histidine kinase gene isolated from indica rice ir64. European Patent Application No. EP2350284 A4.
11. Hybrid-type histidine kinase gene isolated from indica rice ir64 and clones produced thereby Philippine Patent Application No. 1/2011/500293.