Centre for the Study of Regional Development,
School of Social Sciences
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD, PG Dip in Remote Sensing and GIS
Areas of Interest/Specialization
Land Degradation, River Systems, Climate Change, Mountain and Desert Ecosystems, Environment and Development, Remote Sensing and GIS
- Assistant Professor, CSRD,JNU (2004-2016)
- Associate Professor, CSRD, JNU (2016 onwards)
Awards & Honours
- Senior Researcher Exchange (RE) Programme Awarded by India UK Water Centre, Lancaster University, UK. 2019.
- Shastri Mobility Grant Awardee, for research on Sustainable River Basin Management, Department of Geography, The University of British Columbia, Canada, 2016-17.
- DAAD Project Based Personnel Exchange Programme, Institute of Physical Geography, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany, 2016-17.
- DAAD Visiting Fellowship to Institute of Physical Geography, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany, 2014.
- Associations of American Geographer (AAG) Research Fellowship Grant under MyCOE/SERVIR Programme on Climate change on Himalaya 2013. from Associations of American Geographer (Funded by NASA), 2013.
- ESRC, UK, Research Fellowship, School of Geography and Environment, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK, 2009.
- Young Scientist Award, 17th M.P. Young Scientist Congress, 2002.
- Fellowship for Application of Remote Sensing & GIS in Applied Geomorphology at Groupe Development Teledetection Aerospatiale (GDTA), Toulouse, France, by French Govt., 2000.
- Research collaboration on Land Reclaimation and Sustainability, Institute of Physical Geography, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany, 2014-2018.
- Sustainable River Basin Management, Department of Geography, The University of British Columbia, Canada,2016-17.
- Climate Change Induced Gully Erosion and Land Degradation, School of Geography and Environment, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK, 2010.
Best Peer Reviewed Publications
- (2017) ‘Dynamics and Patterns of Land Levelling for Agricultural Reclamation of Erosional Badlands in Chambal Valley (Madhya Pradesh, India)’. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, (Wiley), 43(2): 524-542. DOI: 10.1002/esp.4266 (with I. Marzolff).
- (2015) ‘Geomorphological Evolution of Badlands based on the Dynamics of Palaeo-channels and Their Implications’. Journal of Earth System Science, (Indian Academy of Sciences, Springer). 124(5): 909-920. (with V Ranga and S N Mohapatra).
- (2015) ‘Semi - Automatic Detection of Badlands and Badland Encroachment: A Case Study in the Lower Chambal Valley (India)’, Geocarto International (Taylor & Francis) 30 (8): 919-936. (with V Ranga, Van Rompaey, A., Poesen, J. and S N Mohapatra.).
- (2013) `Land Degradation and Spatial Vulnerabilities: A Study of Inter-Village Differences in Chambal Valley, India’, Asian Geographer, Routledge, (Taylor and Francis). 30 (1): 65–79. (with Paul Carling).
- (2009) (edited) Geoinformatics for Natural Resource Management. New York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc., (with P.K. Joshi, S.N. Mohapatra and T.P. Singh).
Recent Peer Reviewed Journals/Books
- (2017) ‘Ravine Erosion and Livelihoods in Semi-Arid India: Implications for Socio- Economic Development’, Journal of Asian and African Studies, (Sage),52(5):1-18.
- (2016). ‘Characteristics of a Mixed Bedrock-Alluvial Channel in a Plateau and Plateau Fringe Region: A Study on the Barakar River of the Chotanagpur Plateau, India’. Environmental Processes, (Springer), 3(4): 981-999. (with S. S. Biswas)
- (2016) ‘Controlling Gully Erosion: An Analysis of Land Reclamation Processes in Chambal Valley, India’, Development in Practice, (Routledge), 26(8): 1047-1059.