Ph. D (Ag.) (1993-1997) : Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi.
M. Sc (Ag.) (1991-1993) : Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
B. Sc. (Ag.) (1987-1991) : Visva Bharati University, Shantiniketan, West Bengal.
Geminivirus : Biology, host-virus interactions and control options
1996 - 2000 Scientist, Indian Institute of Vegetable Research (IIVR), Varanasi
2000 - 2004 Scientist (Sr. Scale), IIVR, Varanasi
2004 - 2010 Associate Professor, School of Life Sciences, JNU.
2010 - present Professor, School of Life Sciences, JNU
Ph D : 21 (17 - sole supervision; 4 – joint supervision )
M Phil : 3
M Sc : 14
RA/SRF/JRF/PA : .> 25
Post doctoral : 12
Trainees / interns :- >60
- Prof. A Gnanam Endowment lecture award by Madurai Kamraj University (2022)
- Recognition award by the National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (2020-21)
- Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy (2020)
- Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences India (2017)
- Fellow of the National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (2017)
- Pran Vohra Award by Indian Science Congress Association (2004-05)
- Certificate of Merit by the Indian Society of Seed Technology (2004)
- Certificate of Achievement by Donald Danforth Plant Sciences Center, USA (2003)
- Dr. Harbhajan Singh Memorial Award by Indian Society of Vegetable Science (2003)
- BOYSCAST fellowship by Department of Science and Technology, GOI (2001-02)
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Young Scientist Award by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (1999-2000)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Award by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (1998)
- Best student of Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) (1997)
- IARI Merit Medal (1997)
- Best student of Plant Pathology, Division of Plant Pathology, IARI, New Delhi (1997)
- Best student of Mycology and Plant Pathology of Banaras Hindu University (1993)
- Washington State University Pullman (USA)
- University of the Witwatersrand (South Africa)
- University of East Anglia (UK)
- Martin Luther University (Germany)
- Agricultural University of Athens (Greece)
- Donald Danforth Plant Science Center (USA)
- P Gnanasekaran, N Gupta, K Ponnusamy and S Chakraborty (2021) Geminivirus betasatellite-encoded βC1 protein exhibits novel ATP hydrolysis activity that influences its DNA-binding activity and viral pathogenesis. Journal of Virology, JVI0047521. https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.00475-21
- S Basu†, N K Kushwaha†, A K Singh†, P P Sahu, R Vinoth Kuma, S Chakraborty. (2018). Dynamics of a geminivirus-encoded pre-coat protein and host RNA-dependent RNA polymerase 1 in regulating symptom recovery in tobacco. Journal of Experimental Botany [doi:10.1093/jxb/ery043]
- N K Kushwaha, B Mansi and Chakraborty S. (2017) The replication initiator protein of a geminivirus interacts with host monoubiquitination machinery and stimulates transcription of the viral genome. PLOS Pathogens (DOI:10.1371/journal.ppat.1006587).
- D Bhattacharyya, G Prabu, R Kishore Kumar, N Kushwaha, V K Sharma, Mohd A Yusuf and S Chakraborty. (2015) A geminivirus betasatellite damages structural and functional integrity of chloroplasts leading to symptom formation and inhibition of photosynthesis. Journal of Experimental Botany 66(19): 5881-5895. doi: 10.1093/jxb/erv299
- P Gnanasekaran, K Ponnusamy, S Chakraborty. (2019) A geminivirus betasatellite encoded βC1 protein interacts with PsbP and subverts PsbP-mediated antiviral defence in plants. Molecular Plant Pathology, 20(7):943-960. doi: 10.1111/mpp.12804
N Sharma, PP Sahu, A Prasad, M Muthamilarasana, M Waseem, Y Khan, J Thakur, S Chakraborty and M Prasad (2021). The Sw5a gene confers resistance to ToLCNDV and triggers an HR response after direct AC4 effector recognition. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA118 (33) https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2101833118
R Devendran, M Kumar, D Ghosh, S Yogindran, MJ Karim and S Chakraborty (2021). Capsicum-infecting begomoviruses as global pathogens: host–virus interplay, pathogenesis, and management. Trends in Microbiology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tim.2021.05.007
R Ruhel, M Mazumder, P Gnanasekaran, M Kumar, S Gourinath and S Chakraborty (2021) Functional implications of residues of the B′ motif of geminivirus replication initiator protein in its helicase activity. The FEBS Journal. https://doi.org/10.1111/febs.16053.
- S Chakraborty and N Kushwaha. (2015) “Chilli leaf curl virus based vector for tissue specific (phloem) silencing of endogenous gene and over-expression of foreign genes”. Patent application no. 2620/DEL/2015 filed on 24.08.2015. (RFE submitted on 23.08.2019)
- S Chakraborty, N Kushwaha and AK Singh. (2015) “Development of Chilli leaf curl virus DNA-based chimeric construct for efficient plant inoculation”. Patent application no. 2619/DEL/2015 filed on 24.08.2015. (RFE submitted on 23.08.2019)